Applying for a job?
Please use the button links below to complete a job specific application and submit your resume. Please include the title of the job to which you are applying in your application in order to be considered for each position.
Northern California Medical Associates is an equal opportunity employer.
Position title: Medical Assistant/Patient Service Representative
Clinic: Otolaryngology / Head & Neck Surgery / Ear, Nose & Throat
Location: Santa Rosa, Calif.
Schedule: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m., Temporary
Assist in the delivery of primary health care and patient care management. Provide a variety of secretarial duties to physicians and other members of the clinic.
Duties and responsibilities
(includes, but is not limited to the following)
- Perform selected nursing within their scope of practice (BP, temperatures, apply bandages etc.) and administrative duties.
- Perform venipuncture, arterial and capillary punctures on patients. Identify and label specimens.
- Prepare patients for examination and treatment. Take patient histories and vital signs.
- Prepare exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments.
- Prepare and maintain supplies and equipment for treatments, including sterilization.
- Assist physicians in preparing for minor surgeries, physicals.
- Greet patients in a prompt, pleasant and helpful manner.
- Check patients in and out; verify necessary information and record in the medical record.
- Process medical record requests.
- Assist with scheduling patient appointments, tests and treatments.
- Scan information and documents into patient file.
- Collect payments for services; post to patient account.
- Answer phones; retrieve and respond to patient voicemails.
- Screen telephone calls for referral to nurse or physician.
- Provide general information on departmental policies and procedures.
- Maintain an accurate cash drawer including end-of-day balancing, inventory and balance sheet.
- Data entry including patient demographics, insurance, miscellaneous notes, payments and other related information.
- May process end-of-day batching for billing and accounting departments.
- Perform routine office task including filing, faxing and scanning.
- Order and maintain clinical and office supplies and equipment.
- Maintain patient files, records and other information.
- Assemble and prepare patient’s charts.
- Attend required meetings and participate in committees as requested.
MA & Patient Service Representative
- Participate in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Regular and reliable attendance is required to perform the functions of this position.
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Education, licensure and/or certifications
- Graduation from an accredited program for Medical Assistants.
- Must be a California or National Certified Clinical Medical Assistant. If state or national certification is not present at time of hire it must be completed within the first 90 days of employment.
- One year medical office experience preferred.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of medical practice and care to assist in giving patient care.
- Knowledge of medical office procedures including insurance verification process.
- Knowledge of examination, diagnostic and treatment room procedures.
- Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation for general correspondence.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic to make calculations, balance and reconcile figures and make any changes accurately.
- Skill in assisting in a variety of treatments and medicines as directed.
- Skill in taking vital signs.
- Skill in maintaining records and recording test results.
- Skill developing and maintaining department quality assurance.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff and the public.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to use electronic health record, basic Microsoft Office applications and general office equipment (e.g. copier, scanner, fax).
- Ability to multi-task, handle high volume phone calls and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that may need to be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients.
- Requires standing and walking, prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching movements.
MA & Patient Service Representative
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment.
- Requires lifting and/or pushing or pulling boxes/supplies of 20 lbs., up to 100 lbs., occasionally.
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports.
- Requires exposure to bodily fluids.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, and ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment.