NCMA is recognized as the premier center in the North Bay and one of the finest in the nation for thoracic and cardiovascular surgery on adult and pediatric patients. From routine coronary artery bypass and carotid surgeries to the most challenging cases, NCMA physicians apply considerable expertise and compassionate care. Thoracic and cardiovascular surgery includes surgery on the heart, lung, airways, chest wall, mediastinum and esophagus.
Our staff of NCMA Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons routinely perform the following procedures:
- Coronary Bypass Surgery: This surgery reroutes blood around clogged arteries to improve the supply of blood and oxygen to the heart. This is accomplished by taking a blood vessel from another part of the body. A heart lung machine is used during most coronary bypass graft operations.
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery/Small Thoracotomy Arterial Revascularization (STAR): A specially trained heart surgeon performs bypass surgery without the use of the heart lung machine. The surgery is performed while the heart is still beating.
- Heart Valve Surgery and Replacement: More than 200 valve procedures are performed annually. NCMA’s surgeons are skilled at valve remodeling with prosthetic reinforcement or valve replacement with a state-of-the-art mechanical or tissue valve.
- Ventricular Assist Devices: NCMA surgeons are highly skilled at implanting a range of ventricular assist devices (mechanical pumps) as a bridge to recovery or transplantation.
- Off-Pump Heart Surgery: NCMA has performed off-pump heart surgery for more than five years. Stabilizing devices on the heart enable surgeons to bypass the coronary artery while the heart is beating.
- Lung Reduction Surgery: NCMA is one of the few hospitals offering lung reduction surgery to remove the most diseased portion of a lung.
- Aortic Surgery: NCMA surgeons have vast experience in performing complex, staged repairs of the ascending, arch, descending, thoracoabdominal and isolated abdominal aorta, including those of Marfan patients.
NCMA Cardiovascular Surgery