Please use the button links below to complete a job specific application and submit your resume. Please include the title of the job to which you are applying in your application in order to be considered for each position.
*Northern California Medical Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer
JOB TITLE: Switchboard Operator
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Operates clinic switchboard, provides routine information and directs calls to appropriate area.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports directly to Department or office manager.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Requires lifting papers or boxes up to 50 pounds occasionally. Requires dexterity to type 60 wpm.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. Involves frequent contact with staff at times. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
1. Channels all incoming calls and routes calls to appropriate departments.
2. Responds to emergency calls according to established procedures.
3. Communicates general clinic information.
4. Organizes and efficiently handles switchboard terminal.
5. Uses paging system according to procedure.
6. Maintains appropriate logs and records.
7. Updates telephone directory and maintains accurate listing of all listings.
8. Notifies answering service of physician(s) on cal1.
9. Assists in care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies.
10. Maintains information in a confidential manner.
11. Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of switchboard and communication procedures. Skill in operating a communications system. Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instruction. Ability to speak clearly and concisely with a pleasant telephone voice. Ability to handle stressful situations. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public.
Education: High school diploma or GED.
Experience: Six months switchboard experience, preferably in a clinic setting. Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
ALTERNATE TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Additional appropriate education may be substituted for minimum experience requirement.