Please use the button links below to complete a job specific application and submit your resume. Please include the title of the job to which you are applying in your application in order to be considered for each position.
*Northern California Medical Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer
JOB TITLE: Referral Coordinator
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Provide and assist patients with referrals, follow-up visits/appointments, specialty care services and community resources as needed. Coordinate all paperwork and communications with patients and clinicians related to specialty referrals. Maintain excellent customer service standards.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports directly to Office Manager/Supervisor or Regional Operations Manager
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Requires lifting papers or boxes up to 50 pounds occasionally. Requires dexterity to type 60 wpm.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. Involves frequent contact with staff at times. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
1. Ensure efficiency, accuracy and accountability of information and data.
2. Assist patients in obtaining specialty appointments within the Clinic, outside clinics or hospitals.
3. Follow up with all aspects of specialty care referrals. Communicate information to specialty providers, patients and the clinic.
4. Log and track patients’ referrals.
5. Complete all referral forms, and make all necessary arrangements with patients and the specialty providers they are being referred to.
6. Follow-up on results, denials and deferred referrals and inform patients in a timely manner.
7. Ensure that patients receive quality, timely, professional service
8. Contact patients as needed or as instructed by clinician(s).
9. Ensure effective, professional communications within and outside of the clinic setting.
10. Handle patient information with utmost respect and confidentiality.
11. Maintain a professional, friendly and courteous demeanor in the performance of duties.
12. Provide input to supervisor on issues that require attention and/or improvement.
13. Handle patient complaints or concerns in a professional manner. Refer patient to appropriate management staff for handling or resolution of issues.
14. Communicate by telephone with related agencies or personnel, regarding status of patient treatment in a courteous and professional manner.
15. Facilitate improvements to patient care by sharing ideas/concerns and helping develop new processes to increase efficiency in the delivery of services.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of medical office procedures. Knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation to type from draft copy, review and edit reports and correspondence. Knowledge of basic arithmetic to make calculations, balance and reconcile figures and make any changes accurately. Skill in operating a computer, Dictaphone and copy machine. Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to speak clearly and concisely. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public.
Education: High school diploma or GED.
1. Two years of experience in a health care setting that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of this position.
2. Working knowledge of medical terminology.
3. Typing ability of 60 wpm.
4. Ability to accurately utilize person computer and be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
5. Demonstrated ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
6. Well organized/detail oriented with the ability to prioritize and perform a variety of tasks in a fast paced environment.
7. Demonstrated excellent customer relations and communication skills.
8. Demonstrated ability to listen and communicate with others in a professional and caring manner.
9. Self-started, reliable, and dependable.
10. Must possess strong verbal and interpersonal skills.
11. Demonstrated ability to relate to individuals representing a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
ALTERNATE TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Additional appropriate education may be substituted for one year of medical office experience.