Please use the button links below to complete a job specific application and submit your resume. Please include the title of the job to which you are applying in your application in order to be considered for each position.
*Northern California Medical Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Position Title: Billing Specialist
Clinic: Billing Department
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Schedule: Full-Time, Monday-Friday
Summary: Responsible for all aspects of account follow up. Includes submission of appeals, responding to patient and health plan correspondence, telephone calls from offices, health plans, patients and physicians.
Duties and Responsibilities (includes, but is not limited to the following):
• Submit claims to various payers either electronically or by paper.
• Resolve patient billing questions and complaints.
• Prepare, review and send patient statements.
• Review accounts for possible assignment to collection agency.
• Monitor open item aging to identify accounts with delinquent items requiring follow up.
• Complete adjustments to remove non-payable services or correct erroneous entries.
• Reconcile accounts.
• Process requests for refunds.
Education, Licensure and/or Certifications
• High school diploma or GED
• One year of billing experience in a health care organization. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for one year of billing experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Extensive knowledge of medical billing and collection practices including insurance company payment policies and fee schedules.
• Knowledge of CPT, ICD-9, ICD-10, and HCPCS coding.
• Knowledge of HIPAA guidelines.
• Knowledge of database functionality including Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Knowledge of basic accounting principles.
• Skill in using computer, adding machine, and other office equipment.
• Ability to examine documents for accuracy and completeness.
• Ability to communicate clearly both written and verbal.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that may need to be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stretching and occasional lifting of up to 25 pounds.
• Requires use of telephone.
• Requires manual dexterity to operate keyboard, calculator, copy machine and other office equipment.
• Requires eyesight correctable to 20/20 to read numbers, letters and computer monitor.
• Requires hearing within normal range for telephone use.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The environment is typical of a normal office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.