Please use the button links below to complete a job specific application and submit your resume. Please include the title of the job to which you are applying in your application in order to be considered for each position.
*Northern California Medical Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Position Title: Authorization and Referrals Specialist
Reports To: Office Manager/Supervisor/Coordinator or Regional Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Billing Department
Summary: Provides a variety of secretarial duties to physicians and other members of the clinic.
Duties and Responsibilities (includes, but is not limited to the following):
• Triage of outgoing referral test orders.
• Send referrals, orders and necessary paperwork to other providers as required.
• Obtain prior authorization for referrals, diagnostic tests, office and hospital procedures when required.
• Obtain authorization for medication when required.
• Research benefits and eligibility when required.
• Sending medical records as required.
• This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Education, Licensure and/or Certifications
• This position may require California Certified Medical Assistant – Administrative (CCMA – A). If required and state certification is not present at time of hire it must be done within the first 90 days of employment. The only exception is when an employee has a higher level certification.
• Two years’ experience in a medical office.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Typing ability of 60 wpm.
• Word processing and computer experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of medical office procedures.
• Knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation to type from draft copy, review and edit reports and correspondence.
• Knowledge of basic arithmetic to make calculations, balance and reconcile figures and make any changes accurately.
• Skill in operating a computer, and copy machine.
• Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to speak clearly and concisely.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that may need to be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching.
• Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment.
• Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports.
• Requires lifting papers or boxes up to 50 pounds occasionally.
• Requires dexterity to type 60 wpm.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in an office environment and involves frequent contact with staff at times.